Nobody Is Talking About the
                People Behind the Wheel
                                                       By Danny B.   

I've been in the motorcoach industry for nearly twenty years.

I've watched companies grow from a handful of buses into major fleets. I've watched family-owned operators pass their businesses down to the next generation. I've seen drivers who knew every route, every customer, and every shortcut to get a group safely home.

This industry has always been about people.

Not buses.

People.

That's why something I've been seeing lately has been bothering me more than I can explain.

A few days ago, I came across a post in a motorcoach operators group. It wasn't someone advertising a bus for sale. It wasn't another discussion about engines, emissions systems, or insurance.

It was a post asking for help.

A fellow driver had been out of work and needed donations just to get by.

I stopped scrolling.

Not because asking for help is unusual. Life happens.

I stopped because, in almost twenty years, I can't remember seeing that happen in our industry.


We Measure Buses. We Don't Measure People.

When people talk about the transportation industry, they usually talk about numbers.

How many buses were sold.

How many passengers traveled.

Fuel prices.

Insurance costs.

Interest rates.

Tourism statistics.

Those numbers matter.

But they don't tell you what's happening inside the companies.

They don't tell you about the driver who only worked two trips this month.

They don't tell you about the owner who parked three buses because there isn't enough work to keep them moving.

They don't tell you about the mechanic wondering whether there will still be forty hours next week.

Those stories rarely make the headlines.


The Phones Don't Ring Like They Used To

Over the past year, I've spoken with operators from all over the country.

Some are doing well.

Others tell a very different story.

They're quoting jobs that never materialize.

Church trips have slowed.

Corporate travel is inconsistent.

Schools are watching every dollar.

Insurance keeps climbing.

Parts cost more.

Drivers are harder to find—and harder to keep when the work becomes unpredictable.

Some fleets have buses sitting in the yard that should be on the road.

The hardest part isn't seeing an empty parking lot.

It's knowing what an empty parking lot means.


This Industry Was Built by Good People

One thing I've always loved about this business is that people help each other.

If you're broken down on the side of the road, another operator stops.

If someone needs a part, somebody usually knows where to find one.

If a driver is stranded, somebody figures it out.

Competition exists.

But so does respect.

That's why seeing someone in our own industry asking for donations hit differently.

Not because it's impossible.

Because it reminds us that behind every coach is a family.


The Industry Isn't Dead. But It Is Hurting.

The national reports tell us passenger miles are increasing.

Some companies are expanding.

New coaches are still being delivered.

Those facts are true.

They're also not the whole story.

Growth on paper doesn't always mean prosperity on Main Street.

Some operators are thriving.

Others are fighting just to stay open.

Both realities can exist at the same time.

And if we ignore the second one, we're ignoring the people who built this industry.


Maybe It's Time We Talk About It

This isn't an article about politics.

It's not about blaming manufacturers, brokers, regulators, or anyone else.

It's simply a reminder that behind every bus is a driver trying to provide for a family.

Behind every fleet is an owner worrying about payroll, insurance, repairs, and whether next month's bookings will be enough.

For nearly twenty years, this industry has given me friendships, opportunities, and a career I'm proud of.

It deserves more than conversations about horsepower and paint colors.

It deserves conversations about the people who keep it moving.

If someone in our industry is struggling, we shouldn't pretend everything is fine.

We should talk about it.

Because if we don't look out for each other, who will?


I'd like to hear from you.

If you're an owner, dispatcher, mechanic, driver, or anyone else in this industry, what are you seeing where you are?

Are things improving?

Are they getting harder?

Or does the truth lie somewhere in between?

Let's have the conversation.


About the Author

Danny B. is the General Manager & CFO of BuyCoachBus. Through The Motorcoach Insider, he shares practical advice on buying, maintaining, and operating motorcoaches to help buyers and fleet operators make informed decisions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog