Big Apple Lines Filed Chapter 11.
                That Should Get Our Attention.
                                                            by Danny B.

Big Apple Lines filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on August 14.

That one caught my attention.

Big Apple has been around the New York transportation market for a while. This isn't some operator in a small market where there isn't enough business to go around.

We're talking about New York.

One of the largest tourism markets in America and one of the biggest gateways for international travelers coming into this country.

That's why this filing concerns me.

I want to be clear about something. I don't know what caused Big Apple to file Chapter 11, and I'm not going to speculate about their finances.

Chapter 11 also doesn't necessarily mean they're going out of business. It gives a company an opportunity to restructure.

But the timing strengthens something I've been concerned about for a while.

Tourism isn't as strong as people think it is.

New York Is Supposed to Be One of the Strong Markets

Think about how much transportation comes through New York.

International groups. Hotels. Broadway. Airport transfers. Sightseeing. Cruise passengers. Schools. Corporate groups. Tours going from New York to Washington, Boston, Philadelphia and Niagara Falls.

A lot of that business eventually touches a bus.

That's why seeing an established New York operator enter Chapter 11 should make people in our industry pay attention.

Especially when you look at what's happening with international travel.

Overseas visitor arrivals to the United States were down again in June.

And June wasn't just another month.

We were hosting the World Cup.

One of the biggest international sporting events in the world was happening here and overseas visitation still declined 1.8% compared with the previous year.

That bothers me.

Because if an event that large couldn't produce the tourism bump everyone expected, what happens after the event is gone?

I've Been Watching This for a While

I've mentioned the tourism slowdown before.

I hear it from operators.

I see what is happening with international groups.

We've talked about Canadian travel slowing down and inbound tourism not returning the way many expected.

Now we're seeing more numbers behind it.

U.S. Travel reported that international visitation declined 5.5% in 2025. Their current forecast doesn't expect international visitation to fully return to 2019 levels until 2029.

That's a long recovery.

And transportation feels those changes quickly.

When international groups don't come, it's not only the hotel losing a room.

The restaurant loses customers.

The attraction loses visitors.

The tour company loses passengers.

And somewhere down that chain, a motorcoach doesn't move.

That's Why Big Apple Got My Attention

I'm not saying tourism caused their bankruptcy.

We don't know that.

What I'm saying is that when a known operator in a market like New York files Chapter 11 while international tourism is struggling, I pay attention.

Add insurance increases, labor costs, parts, equipment prices and customers pushing back against higher charter rates and the margins keep getting smaller.

Eventually something gives.

Maybe Big Apple's situation turns out to be completely company-specific.

I hope they restructure and come out of Chapter 11 stronger.

But I don't think our industry should ignore what is happening around us either.

New York is one of America's biggest tourism hubs.

If established transportation companies there are feeling enough pressure to restructure, operators in every market should be watching.

I've been concerned about where tourism is heading.

This filing didn't create that concern.

It strengthened it.

Sources

Big Apple Lines Inc. — U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, Chapter 11 Case No. 26-11955, filed August 14, 2026.

Skift — No World Cup Bump: U.S. Tourism Down in June, July 14, 2026.

U.S. Travel Association — U.S. Travel Forecast, May 2026.

About the Author

Dhinel “Danny” Biyanwela works in the motorcoach and ground transportation industry with experience in operations, vehicle sales, finance and fleet management. Through BTE Group LLC and The Motorcoach Insider, he writes about the issues affecting operators behind the scenes, especially the ones that don't always get talked about publicly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog